There’s a VERY good reason Zucchini Lasagna became a staple in our lives the last 2.5 years – it’s *delicious*. You 100% do not miss the noodles, they truly were just empty filler. Who knew?! We’ve seen many similar keto lasagna recipes out there but this is how we do it in our busy household, in about 45 minutes. If you’ve ever made a traditional lasagna before, you know that’s pretty great time-wise!
Zucchini Lasagna Recipe
- 1lb Ground Beef *
- 3/4 cup Rao’s Marinara Sauce (or your favorite no-added sugar marinara)
- 1 cup Baby Spinach
- 2 medium Zucchinis (or 1 extra large)
- 1 cup Shredded Mozzarella
- 1/2 cup Ricotta Cheese *
- 4 tbsp Cream Cheese, slightly melted
- Italian Seasoning Blend (e.g. Basil, Oregano, Thyme, Rosemary, Garlic)
- Salt, to taste
*We like using 85/15 Ground Beef and Low Moisture/Part Skim Shredded Mozzarella. Full fat Ricotta can be used but we prefer Part Skim. Sometimes we omit the Ricotta altogether and up the cream cheese instead.
1. Preheat oven to 400°f and lightly grease an 8×8 baking dish.
2. Cut the ends off the zucchinis then thinly slice length-wise. Alternatively, you can slice the zucchini into thin medallions. Layer the zucchini slices into rows between paper towels and set aside or in the fridge.
3. In a large pan, brown ground beef with Italian Seasoning and Salt to taste and reduce to a simmer.
4. Add Rao’s Marinara and Baby Spinach to pan with ground beef. Gently fold and stir until spinach is slightly wilted. Turn off the burner and let ground beef mixture cool down for a few minutes.
5. In a small bowl, combine cream cheese and ricotta cheese.
6. Assemble your Lasagna! We like to follow the order of Zucchini – Ground Beef – Cheese – Repeat.
- Start with a layer of zucchini. Make sure the entire bottom is covered in a single layer of slices.
- Add about half of your ground beef mixture above the zucchini, smooth it out with a spatula or spoon.
- Spread about 1/2 of cream cheese mixture on top of ground beef mix. Sometimes we end up with wonky dollops and that’s okay. Sprinkle a little bit of the mozzarella cheese.
- Repeat the layers one more time – start with Zucchini slices, then ground beef mix, then cream cheese mix/sprinkle mozzarella.
- For the final top layer, add any leftover zucchini then the remaining mozzarella cheese.
7. Bake the zucchini lasagna for about 30 minutes or until the top layer starts to bubble and brown.
8. Let cool for 10-15 minutes before eating and use a serrated knife to cut the lasagna into 4 equal pieces (or more if smaller servings are desired).
Makes 4 generous servings | Serving: 1 piece | Net Carbs: 7g | Calories: 489
Disclaimer: Info provided here by entering the ingredients used into Carb Manager. These numbers can change based on the ingredients/brands/etc. you choose to use.
Tip: Sometimes we use leftover beef bolognaise which significantly reduces the time for this recipe. Prepping the zucchinis ahead of time will make assembling super quick too. I usually slice the zucchini, layer a few rows on a plate between paper towels, and put them in the fridge for a few hours before they’re needed. This also gives the fresh zucchini time to sweat out a bit of extra water.